Friday, March 4, 2011

Rules Tweaks Part 4: Spell Casting Proficiency

This time around, I am adding a tweak to Magic-users. When I was developing the core rules, I felt that improving an Attribute each level would be enough for the Magic-user class. After all, they can cast pretty much any spell with a successful Skill Roll. I figured a player would improve the Magic-user's Skill Attribute at each level and thus improve the character's effectiveness. Now that we have several games under our belt, I see that in the mid to upper levels, that might not be enough. I originally figured the Magic-user would gain magic items like a Staff of Spellcasting which would add an additional die to the Skill Roll when casting spells. That is great, but occurred to me that that might not be enough. After all, casting spells is an art and a skill that should get better with use.
Therefore, I am adding the following Special Ability to the Magic-user class:

Casting Proficiency: At every level divisble by 5, a magic-user casts spells at -1 Casting Modifier. Ex: -2 CM at 10th level etc.

Now the Magic-user's ability will increase at a reasonable rate. I also nerfed the Casting Modifier for the Attack spell to -1. Now I feel the Magic-user character has a bit more to look forward to as she advances in levels beyond a better Skill and some magic items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment